The Institute for Coastal and Water Research (ICaWR) is the central organization at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for research activity and synergy in the fields of coastal and water research.
The overarching objectives of ICaWR are to:
- Facilitate multidisciplinary coastal and water research endeavors across University departments, schools and colleges
- Provide an enhanced knowledge base for improved coastal and water management, ecosystem restoration, policy making, and sustainability
- Partner with state and federal agencies, private businesses, nonprofit organizations, and other academic entities to identify and resolve coastal and water research needs.
ICaWR currently has 19 research faculty from 4 colleges across the University addressing complex problems facing aquatic and coastal ecosystems throughout North America, from our own northern Gulf of Mexico to California and Florida. Research expertise in ICaWR encompasses such pressing environmental concerns as
- global climate change and sea-level rise,
- restoration of coastal ecosystems,
- environmental modeling,
- water management, and
- sustainability of habitats and communities.
ICaWR welcomes research collaborations in the areas of coastal and water resources and is particularly well poised to faciliate multidisciplinary research endeavors. We invite you to work with us, and please contact us with any inquiries regarding ICaWR activities or opportunities.